DC Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with E-File.com.
DC Flag

Filing Your Taxes in Washington D.C.

Filing taxes is always a little frustrating no matter which way you look at it and sometimes you need a little help. Which form do I file with my return for which state? How do I find out my residency status? How does my residency status affect my tax return? You can find the answers to these questions and more here to help make filing your taxes as easy as 1-2-3!

Remember to file your return by April 15th.

If you are a renter or homeowner in D.C. and make less than $20,000, you may qualify for a credit. To apply, file Schedule H and Form D-40. If you do not file a Form D-40 D.C. return, file Schedule H to apply for the credit.

Online Tax Software: Compare Them Here

If want to prepare and file your taxes the easy way, consider using online tax software. e-File.com and Credit Karma are the most well-known tax software, but they each have different price points and offer different services. Compare them and see which is right for you!

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Washington DC Tax Forms

Do I Need to File Taxes in D.C.? What is My Residency Status?

There are four groups of people who need to file some sort of tax form in Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C. residents, part-year Washington, D.C. residents, people who live in Washington, D.C. but work in another state, people who live in another state and work in Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. Residents

If your permanent domicile was in Washington, D.C. for the entire year or for more than 183 days, you are a D.C. resident. You are also a D.C. resident if you owned a home in Washington, D.C. and are in the armed forces or are a spouse of someone in the armed forces or a nonresident elected official who is otherwise exempt from D.C. residency. Washington, D.C. residents who filed a federal tax return must file a return with Washington, D.C. using Form D-40.

Part-Year Residents

If you only resided in Washington, D.C. for part of the year or fewer than 183 days you are a part-year resident. People who were physically in Washington, D.C., but whose residence was in another state are also considered Washington, D.C. part-year residents. You are only permitted to have one permanent residence and changing that residence requires you to give up your other residence and establish your residence in the new state.

Part-year D.C. residents are required to file a Form D-40 Washington, D.C. return just like full-year residents. There are however several differences. When filling out the Filing Status section, you need to declare that you are a part-year resident. For more information see page 12 of Form D-40. You also need to calculate how much income you earned while you were a D.C. resident and how much when you weren’t. You will need to repeat that process for deductions, exemptions, and deductible expenses. Divide the number of days you lived in D.C. by 30 to find out how many months you lived in D.C. so you know how to prorate those calculations. Any remainder greater than 15 is considered a full month for filing purposes. Enter these calculations on your Form D-40 return.

Make sure that when you are entering this information, you allocate income and deductions to Washington, D.C. for the time you were a D.C. resident. Don’t forget to prorate your personal exemptions and deductions, both standardized and itemized, as well as any credits.

Live in Washington, D.C., Work Out of State

If you have determined that you are a Washington, D.C. resident and you worked in Maryland or Virginia, you are required to file a D.C. return. Out of state employers may not have withheld taxes for D.C. so you will need to file Form D-40 with Washington, D.C. The state you worked in may also require you to file something with before it can release withheld taxes.

Work in Washington, D.C., Live Out of State

If you lived outside of D.C all year or for fewer than 183 days, you are not a D.C resident. Your employer may have withheld D.C. taxes from your income and if you want a refund, you will need to file a Washington, D.C. return. Use Form D-40B to file a nonresident return with Washington, D.C. You must attach any documentation of D.C. withholdings to page 1 of Form D-40B when you file. You may not request joint refunds.

If you are not a D.C. resident but you sold property in Washington, D.C., you are required to file any income made from that sale with your state of residence. You are not required to file with Washington, D.C.