Nebraska Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with
Nebraska Flag

Filing Your Nebraska Taxes

It is tax season! Whether you’re an old hand or a new taxpayer, figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating. But no panic, there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and, one hopes, less stressful. The information below will help you decide your residency status, find the correct forms and give you other information you need to get started.

State income tax returns for 2019 are due Monday, April 15.

Since 2006, itemized deductions were reduced for taxpayers whose income was over a defined threshold, however, this reduction is no longer in effect and reductions for personal income credits in Nebraska are no longer permitted.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software and Credit Karma are the most popular online tax software tool packages for those who do their own taxes. All support many types of personal and business tax preparation. Each provider has its pros and cons - but we did all the work for you. Just take a look at the chart below to find the best one for your needs.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Nebraska Tax Forms

Determine Your Resident Status so You File the Right Forms

What form you need to fill out and file to the state of Nebraska is based on your legal residency, or where your permanent, official “home address” was during 2019. Nebraska groups its residents using four points: full-time Nebraska residents, part-year residents, Nebraska residents who worked in another state, and nonresidents who worked in Nebraska or sold real estate or property located in Nebraska.

Nebraska Residents

You are a resident of Nebraska if your permanent, legal address was in Nebraska for the whole year or if you lived in Nebraska for more than six months. If you file a federal return or the adjustments to your adjusted federal gross income exceeded $5,000, including income from local bond interest that is exempt from federal taxes or other state taxes, you are required to file a resident income tax return with Nebraska. Nebraska residents file Form-1040N. You can download the 2019 Nebraska Individual Income Tax Booklet above for more information.

Part-Year Nebraska Resident

You are a part-year resident of Nebraska if you lived in Nebraska for less than the entire year but for more than six months. You are also a part-year resident of Nebraska if you moved into or out of the state during 2019 and officially changed your legal home address. If you made income from Nebraska sources, regardless of when during the tax year and your residency status at the time that income was earned, you are required to file a part-year Nebraska resident income tax return. Use Form-1040N and attach Nebraska Schedule III. As a Nebraska part-year resident you may claim certain credits; you’ll need to be sure to claim these credits on Schedule III as a part-year resident and not on Form 1040N. The credits include a credit for the disabled or elderly, the Nebraska Endowment Tax credit, Nebraska nonrefundable credit for dependents or child care expenses, and credit for minimum taxes from the previous year.

Nebraska Residents – Worked in Another State

Nebraska residents are taxed on all income, no matter where the income was earned. Nebraska residents who were employed in another state will be taxed on the income they earned in the other state. You can avoid dual taxation by claiming a credit on your Nebraska tax return for the out-of-state taxes paid on the out-of-state income. You will need to fill out Schedule II and file it with your Nebraska income tax return, Form-1040N; also include a copy of your tax return with the other state in which you worked. You can use the 2019 Individual Income Tax Conversion Chart on the Nebraska Department of Revenue website to calculate the amount you need to enter on lines 62 to 64 on Schedule II.

Nonresidents – Worked, Sold Property or Earned Other Income in Nebraska

If your permanent home address was not in Nebraska – not for any part of the year – you are a nonresident of Nebraska. Nebraska nonresidents who worked here or earned income from any Nebraska source must file a Nebraska nonresident state income tax return. Use Form-1040N and Schedule III. You can download the 2019 Nebraska Individual Income Tax Booklet above for more information.