Missouri Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with E-File.com.
Missouri Flag

Filing Your Missouri Taxes

It is tax season again – or for some new workers it’s a brand-new thing. Figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating – but there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and, one hopes, less stressful. The information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms and give you other information you need to get started.

Missouri state income tax returns for 2019 are due April 15.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software

e-File.com and Credit Karma are the most prominent online tax software providers for those who do their own taxes. All are useful for many types of personal and business tax filing. Each provider has its pros and cons - but we did all the work for you. Just take a look at the chart below to find the best one for your needs.

Note that e-File.com offers FREE state income tax filing in Missouri! Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Missouri Tax Forms

Determine Your Resident Status so You File the Right Forms

What form you need to fill out and file to Missouri is based on your legal residency, or where your permanent, official “home address” was during 2019. Missouri categorizes its residents four ways: full-time Missouri residents, part-year residents, Missouri residents who worked in another state, and nonresidents who worked in Missouri or sold real estate or property located in Missouri.

Missouri Residents

Anyone whose permanent home was in Missouri or who lived there for longer than 183 days of the year is considered a Missouri resident. Residents who filed a federal income tax return, earned more than $1,200 from Missouri sources or whose income is greater than the sum total of their exemptions and deductions need to file a Missouri resident tax return. Missouri residents file Form MO-1040 or Form MO-1040A. You can find additional help in the instructions located on Form MO-1040/MO-1040A.

Part-Year Residents

Anyone who moved to or from Missouri during the year, is considered a part-year Missouri resident. Part-year residents’ taxes are handled like nonresidents, but they file as residents.

There are two ways to avoid dual taxation in Missouri on income you earned out of state while you were a Missouri resident or in Missouri while a resident of another state. First, if you file as a resident, you can apply for the Missouri Resident Credit which is a credit that refunds you for taxes paid to other states. If you file as a nonresident, you can apply for the Missouri Income Percentage which allows Missouri to only tax income you made in Missouri. If you are a married couple and you file jointly, each of you can apply for one of the credits, but no one person can claim both.

To apply for the Missouri Resident Credit fill out Form MO-CR and send it, along with your tax return for the other state and your Missouri tax return. (You may need to send the other state a copy of your Missouri return.)

To claim the Missouri Income Percentage, fill out Form MO-NRI and send it with your federal income tax return.

Missouri Resident – Work in Another State

Residents who worked out of state or earned income from any sources in other states while a resident of Missouri, may be taxed on that income by both states. As a Missouri resident, you can claim a credit to avoid dual taxation on income from other states. To apply for the credit, fill out Form MO-CR, attach it to your Missouri tax return and include a copy of your tax return to the other state. Remember to include all of your W-2 forms (you should have received your W-2 from your employer.)

Nonresidents – Worked or Sold Property in Missouri

Anyone who spent fewer than 30 days in Missouri no matter where they actually resided is considered a Missouri nonresident. That means, if you lived in Missouri, but maintained your primary permanent address in another state and did not have a home in Missouri, you are considered a nonresident.

Missouri nonresidents may claim the Missouri Income Percentage credit to avoid dual taxation as it restricts Missouri to taxing only income earned from Missouri sources. Missouri only taxes wages for work performed in the state of Missouri. To determine how much of your income is taxable by Missouri, ask your employer(s) for a W-2. Nonresidents who made less than $600 in Missouri are not required to file a return with Missouri.

Also note that if you work in multiple states, you may be classified as an “interstate employee” and only your state of official residency can tax your income.

To avoid ending up with deductions that are too high (since deductions and exemptions are applied to your total income and not just income from one state), start with your federal return and figure out your total federal adjusted gross income, which includes all of the income you earned in all of the states in which you worked.

Use Form MO-A to claim property taxes you may have paid to another state besides Missouri.

Nonresidents use tax return Form MO-1040. To claim the Missouri Income Percentage fill out Form MO-NRI and include it with your Missouri nonresident return. Make sure to include your W-2 form(s) and your federal tax return.