Minnesota Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with E-File.com.
Minnesota Flag

Filing Your Minnesota Taxes

It is tax season again. And whether you’re a veteran tax filer or brand new to the income world, tax time can be challenging. But, there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and far less stressful. Information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms you need and give you other information you need to get started.

State income tax returns for 2019 are due Monday, April 15.

Compare the Online Tax Software Tools Available

e-File.com and Credit Karma are the most prominent online tax software providers for those of you who do your own taxes. All are appropriate for many types of personal and business tax preparation. Each has its positives and negatives, and they differ in pricing as well. So check them out, compare and read the reviews to pick the one that’s best for you.

e-File.com offers FREE Minnesota State Tax Filing services. Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Minnesota Tax Forms

Determine Your Resident Status so You File the Right Forms

What form you need to fill out and file to Minnesota is based on your legal residency, or where your permanent, official “home address” was during 2019. Minnesota categorizes its residents four ways: full-time Minnesota residents, part-year residents, Minnesota residents who worked in another state, and nonresidents who worked in Minnesota or sold real estate or property located in Minnesota.

Minnesota Residents

For tax purposes, you are a full-time Minnesota resident if your legal home address was in Minnesota for the entire year, or if you lived in Minnesota longer than 183 days. If you were a Minnesota resident in the last tax year, you need to file a state income tax return if you file a federal income tax return. File your Minnesota return using Form M1.

Minnesota residents are taxed on any taxable income regardless of where that income is from. Minnesota defines taxable income as any job-related compensation (including tips, bonuses, commissions and fees, as well as wages and salaries), farm income, interest, dividends, capital gains, gambling winnings, alimony, gross income from businesses, IRA distributions, profit sharing, annuity payments and pensions. For additional information, please see the 2019 Form-M1 Individual Income Tax instructions which you can download above.

Minnesota Resident – Part-Year

You are a part-year resident if you moved your official, legal residence to or from Minnesota during the last year. As a part-year resident, you are obligated to pay taxes on any income earned during the time you were a legal Minnesota resident. During the portion of the year that you were not a legal resident of Minnesota, any Minnesota-based income you earned is taxable in Minnesota. This situation could arise if, for example, you started working in Minnesota before you moved your household here. No matter your residency, any taxable income earned in Minnesota is taxable in Minnesota. You will want Form M1NR, which is the tax return for part-year residents and nonresidents with income from Minnesota. Use Form M1CR f you need to apply for Minnesota credit for taxes paid to other states.

Minnesota Residents – Worked in Another State

Minnesota residents who worked in another state can avoid being taxed on the same income by both states. File Minnesota Form-M1CR to claim a tax credit from Minnesota and avoid dual taxation. When you file your Minnesota income tax return you will need to include this form along with a copy of your tax return(s) to the other state(s).

Nonresident – But Worked or Sold Property in Minnesota

If your permanent address was not in Minnesota at all during the year and you spent fewer than 183 days in Minnesota, you are not a resident of Minnesota. Nonresidents who made more than $9,350 in taxable income from Minnesota sources (including work-related tips, bonuses, wages, salaries, commissions and other fees and income from the sale of property) are required to file a nonresident return with Minnesota.

Use Form M1NR, the Minnesota nonresident return, along with Schedule M1 NR. If you find that your state of residency and Minnesota both withheld tax payments or require tax payments on the same Minnesota income, you might qualify for a tax credit to avoid dual taxation. You’ll need to fill out Form-M1CR and then include it and a copy of your other state’s return with your Minnesota nonresident tax return.