Michigan State Tax Extension

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with E-File.com.
Michigan State Tax Extension Flag

Filing an Extension in Michigan

The Michigan Department of Treasury does not require that you file for an extension of time to file your state tax return if you are filing for a federal extension. Michigan will grant an automatic six-month extension of time to file until October 15, 2021 with a federal extension. You must file an extension form (MI Form 4) or a copy of your federal extension. An extension of time to file the federal return automatically extends the time to file the Michigan return to the new federal due date. If you have not been granted a federal extension, the Michigan Department of Treasury (Treasury) will grant a 180-day extension for individual income tax and composite returns, or a 150-day extension for fiduciary returns.

An extension to file your return is not an extension of time to pay your taxes.


If You Owe

To avoid and penalties and interest, you must pay your current year tax liability in full by April 15, 2021. Any tax not paid by the original due date of the Michigan return will be assessed interest and may be subject to additional penalties.

If, at the time the extension is filed, it is determined additional Michigan tax is due, send the amount due and a completed MI Form 4 or a copy of your federal extension form. If filing Form 4, do not send a copy of the federal extension to Treasury. Retain a copy for your records. Extension requests received without payment on the account will not be honored and penalty and interest will accrue on the unpaid tax from the original due date of the return.

Find out if you owe by completing the worksheet on Form 4.

Pay Online

Pay your taxes online at the Online Michigan Automated Tax Payment System for EFT and Debit Payments.

You can also pay your taxes online at Official Payments Corporation. Visa, MasterCard, Discover Network, and American Express credit and debit cards, and other forms of payment, such as Bill Me Later® are accepted. To make a debit card payment you can use a MasterCard or Visa Debit Card or any debit card with Nyce, Pulse or Star logos.

There is a convenience fee for this service which is paid directly to the company. The amount of the fee is based on the amount of your payment.

Pay by Phone

Pay your taxes by phone by calling Official Payments toll-free at 1-800-272-9829. This automated service is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. At the end of your call you will be given a confirmation number. Save this as proof of payment for your records.

There is a convenience fee for this service which is paid directly to the company. The amount of the fee is based on the amount of your payment.

Pay by Mail

Along with the extension form, send a check in the amount of the estimated tax due made payable to the State of Michigan. Write your Social Security or account number and “Michigan Extension” on the front of your payment. Mail to:
Michigan Department of Treasury
PO Box 30774
Lansing, MI 48909-8274

Penalty and Interest Charges on Tax Owed

If the tax due is underestimated and sufficient payment is not paid with the application for extension, interest will be due on the unpaid or underpaid amount.

The interest rate is 1% above the adjusted prime rate and is adjusted on January 1 and July 1. Interest is charged from the original due date of the return to the date the balance of the tax is paid.

Any one of the following penalties may also apply to the unpaid tax:

  • The initial penalty is 5% of tax due. Penalty increases by an additional 5% per month or fraction thereof, after the second month, to a maximum of 25% for failure to pay;
  • 10% for negligence;
  • 25% for intentional disregard of the law.

If You Do Not Owe

Michigan does not require you to file for an extension if a refund is expected or if you are not submitting payment with Form 4.

For more information, visit Michigan Taxes - Department of Treasury.