Illinois Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with
Illinois Flag

How to file your Illinois taxes

Illinois tax returns are due by April 15th. Take your time to see a great deal of helpful information on how to file your Illinois taxes.

Online Tax Software: Compare Them Here

How about escaping all the hassle of filing your taxes this year? Why not let the computer do it for you? There are great options out there, which more and more Americans are using: and Credit Karma. Check now our detailed information to see what their pros and cons are and make your best choice!

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Illinois Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You Are a Resident of Illinois

If you reside in Illinois you have to file your taxes if you submitted a federal tax return or if your exemption allowance is lower than your base income. In order to file your Illinois resident return, you have to use Form IL-1040.

You Are a Part-Year Resident of Illinois

Are you a part-year resident of Illinois? Then you need to file your part-year resident taxes in several cases: if you earned money from sources in Illinois while being a nonresident, if you earned money while being a resident, no matter the source of the income, or if you are requesting a refund of withheld income in Illinois.

To file your taxes as an Illinois nonresident, use Form IL-1040 and Schedule NR.

You Are an Illinois Resident Who Works in a Different State

Illinois has reciprocal agreements with Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan and Wisconsin. So, if you reside in Illinois and worked in any of the above states, you will have to file Illinois Form IL-1040 and declare all income made in these other states. How does the system work? Any wages made in these states is taxed only by the state of residency (which is Illinois, if you are a resident of Illinois).

If you work in any of these states and your employer withholds taxes, you may have to file additional papers in order to release that income. Another thing to remember is that you are not able to claim tax refunds in Illinois for money earned in any of these states.

If you earn income in any state other than Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan and Wisconsin, you have to pay taxes to Illinois. In this case, however, you can claim a tax refund to Illinois, to avoid dual taxation. You have to use Schedule CR to file for a tax refund.

You Are a Nonresident but Worked or Sold Property in Illinois

If you did not reside in Illinois for any part of the previous tax year, you are considered a nonresident of Illinois. In this case, if you need a refund of Illinois tax withheld by mistake, or if your Illinois exemption allowance is less than your Illinois base income as stated in Schedule NR, you have to file Schedule NR and Form IL-1040. You also need to include a letter of explanation from your employer.

If you are a resident of Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan or Wisconsin, and worked in Illinois, then Illinois will not collect taxes from you on salaries, wages and tips, thanks to reciprocal agreements among these states. If you however earned income in Illinois from lottery, property sales, or any other source, you have to pay taxes no matter which state you reside in. If you want to pay taxes on these other income sources, or if you want to claim a refund on income tax withheld by Illinois, you have to use Form IL-1040 and Schedule NR.

If your employer is withholding Illinois tax, fill out Form IL-W-5-NR and hand it to your employer in order to stop the employer from withholding income. In order to have withholdings refunded to you, you have to submit an Illinois return.

If you reside in a state other than Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan or Wisconsin and you worked inside Illinois, you have to pay taxes on income from Illinois sources, so you have to file Form IL-1040 and Schedule NR. Ask the authorities in your state of residence about necessary steps in order to avoid dual taxation.