Georgia Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with
Georgia Flag

How to File Your Georgia Taxes

If you are married and file jointly with your spouse, or if you are head of household, the tax is calculated at a graduated rate and is assessed in a range of 1 to 5 percent on the first $10,000 of net taxable income (total tax on first $10,000 of net taxable income is $340) plus six percent of the excess of net taxable income that exceeds $10,000.

Disabled residents or residents over age 62 may deduct $35,000 of their retirement income. People who pay taxes to other states can receive tax refunds in Georgia, but those who pay taxes in different countries will not be credited. There is also a tax credit for people with low income (less than $19,999).

Online Tax Software: Compare Them Here

If want to prepare and file your taxes the easy way, consider using online tax software. and Credit Karma are the most well-known software providers out there for doing your taxes online, but they each have their pros and cons.

e-File.comoffers FREE state Income Tax filing in Georgia, so make sure to check if you’re eligible. Why pay when you can file free?

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Georgia Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You Are a Resident of Georgia

If you keep your legal residency in Georgia, you are a resident of Georgia even if you temporarily leave the state.

As a resident of Georgia, you need to file your tax return under three different sets of circumstances: either you had to file a federal tax return, you have income that cannot be taxed by the federal system but can be taxed in Georgia, or if you earned an amount larger than Georgia’s standard deduction and individual exemptions.

Even if you income is lower than the required threshold, you may still want to file a return with Georgia, in order to claim a tax return or refund through a low-income credit. You can find out more by reading Form 511, where you’ll find instructions on how to fill out Form 500, Georgia’s personal income tax return document.

You Are a Part-Year Georgia Resident

If you have been residing in Georgia for only part of the year, you are considered a part-year Georgia resident. You should use Form 500 and Schedule 3 (can be found on page 6 of Form 500). For more information, check the instructions in Form 511 on how to fill Form 500 and Schedule 3.

If you are a part-year resident, you can qualify for a low-income tax credit if you lived in Georgia at the end of the previous tax year (other conditions may apply as well).

You Are a Georgia Resident Who Works in a Different State

As a resident of Georgia, you must pay taxes on all income you earned, no matter the source (inside or outside the state). To avoid dual taxation, you can apply for a tax credit in Georgia. To do that, make sure you attach a copy of the tax return with the other state to your Georgia tax filing (Form 500).

If you are a full or part-year resident, you should fill out the worksheet in Form 511 (page 14) to help the authorities calculate your credit for taxes paid in a different state. If you paid taxes to more than one other state, you have to sum up all the taxes paid in other states in order to have your credit calculated. If you earned income in a different state, but that state did not tax you, you will not receive a tax credit in Georgia for that income. Also, you should keep in mind that tax credits cannot surpass Georgia’s income tax, and credits will not be granted for money earned in a different country.

You Are a Nonresident Who Works in Georgia

If you don’t legally reside in Georgia, but filed a federal return and earned more than 5% of your total salary (or at least $5,000) from a job in Georgia, then you have to file a tax return with the state of Georgia.

There are other cases when you need to file a tax return with Georgia, even if you are a nonresident. For example, if you filed a federal return, and, in Georgia, you won the lottery, made income from rent or from other entities (S-corporations, partnerships, LLC’s, trusts, estates).

To file your return with Georgia, use Form 500 and include Schedule 3 (page 6 of Form 500). For more information, check the instructions in Form 511 on how to fill Form 500 and Schedule 3.