Delaware Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with
Delaware Flag

How to File Your Delaware Taxes

Taxes may be filed electronically for the current fiscal year, as well as for past years (late files for up to three years prior; for example, in 2019 you could file your 2019 tax return, as well as late returns from 2011, 2010 and 2009).

Members of rescue teams (for example firefighters) may receive a $400 tax refund to buy clothes or other job related items. To find out more information, check Form 200-01.

The deadline for filing your Delaware return tax is April 30th.

Online Tax Software: Compare Them Here

If want to prepare and file your taxes the easy way, consider using online tax software. and Credit Karma are the most well-known software providers out there for doing your taxes online, but they each have their pros and cons. You can check here to see what each offers and what their prices are.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Delaware Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You Are a Resident of Delaware

If you had your (domicile) home in Delaware during the tax year, or if you lived in Delaware for at least 183 days, you are considered a resident. In this case, you must file your tax return if your income exceeds the limit established by the chart found in the Form 200-01/200-03EZ Resident Individual Income Tax Return instructions, downloadable above. To file your return, use Form 200-01R or Form 200-03EZ.

If you are a full-time student, and are a resident of another state, you are still considered a resident of that state.

You Are a Part-Year Delaware Resident

If you have been a resident of Delaware for just part of the tax year (see section “You are a Resident of Delaware” for details on who is considered a resident of Delaware), you are a part-year resident. In this case, you have to file your taxes with Delaware if at least one of these two conditions is met: either you earned money from any source while you were a resident of Delaware, or you earned money from a Delaware source while you were a nonresident in this state.

Part-year residents may choose to file their taxes as residents, nonresidents or both types, depending on the choice that is better for them. See the respective sections for details.

You Are a Delaware Resident Who Works in a Different State

If you are a resident of Delaware but make money in a different state, Delaware will tax you for that income. How come? Delaware taxes its residents on any income they earn, no matter where it comes from. However, you may also be taxed by the state you work in, so in order to avoid dual taxation. Delaware offers a tax credit for this type of situation; you need to file Schedule 1 (you can find it in Form 200-01R or Form 200-03EZ), and attach a copy of the tax return from the other state.

You Are a Nonresident Who Worked or Sold Property in Delaware

If you did not live in Delaware during the tax year, you are a nonresident of Delaware. However, if you had any income (including property sale) from Delaware sources, you have to file a Delaware nonresident return. To do this, you must use Form 200-02NR (you can download the Form 200-02NR Non-Resident Individual Income Tax Return instructions above).