Arizona Tax Filing

Need more time? Get an extension until October 15 in just 5 minutes. Start Now with
Arizona Flag
How to file your Arizona taxes

Do you live in Arizona? Then you probably know how complicated is to file taxes here. Some would say that Arizona Form 140 works well as a fictional character to scare the children who don’t want to go to bed at night. But don’t worry; we’re here to scare away all your fears when it comes to filling your tax returns with Arizona.

Arizona considers capital income as normal income, but you are taxed on some categories of income that you have to mention on your return (for example interest from municipal bonds bought from outside Arizona).

Online Tax Software: Compare Them Here

How about escaping all the hassle of filing your taxes this year? Why not let the computer do it for you? There are great options out there, which more and more Americans are using: and Credit Karma. Check now our detailed information to see what their pros and cons are and make your best choice! also offers FREE state income tax filing for Arizona, so make sure to check if you’re eligible.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Arizona Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You Are a Resident in Arizona

If you have a domicile home in Arizona, you are a resident in this state. If you are a resident and leave for a certain amount of time, you may still be considered a resident. As a resident, you are taxed on the same amount as the one you report on your federal return. You have to use Form 140 (or its shorter versions Form 140A and Form 140EZ) to file your return. To check if you are allowed to choose one of the shorter versions, check the 2019 Arizona Form 140 Resident Personal Income Tax Booklet, available for download above.

You Are a Part-Year Resident in Arizona

If you moved to or from Arizona in the last tax year, you are a part-year resident. You need to pay taxes on any income earned from Arizona sources, even income earned during the time when you were not a resident of Arizona. However, to avoid dual taxation, you can fill in Form 309 to claim credit for amounts paid as taxes in other states. To file taxes as an Arizona part-year resident, use Form 140PY (for more information you can download the 2019 Arizona Form 140PY – Part Year Resident Personal Income Tax Booklet above).

You Are an Arizona Resident Who Works in a Different State

To avoid double taxation if you are taxed by another state, use Form 309 to file in Arizona for a refund for taxes paid in another state. To file for your taxes as an Arizona resident who works in a different state, use Form 140 (check the 2019 Arizona Form 140 - Resident Personal Income Tax instructions, available for download above).

You Are a Nonresident Who Works in Arizona

If you are not a resident in Arizona, and earned an amount that exceeds the amount established by the state (see the Arizona Form 140NR Nonresident Personal Income Tax Booklet, available for download above), you have to file a tax return as an Arizona nonresident.

If you are also taxed by the state where you are a resident, you probably want to avoid dual taxation. Ask your state of residency about how you can be refunded for taxes paid in different states. You may also qualify for a tax refund in Arizona; to check if this situation applies to you, use Form 309.

If you are not a resident in Arizona, and sold property here, you may or may not be taxed on it. As the Arizona taxation system is based on the federal one, if you included the sale of the property on your federal return gross income, it will be taxed by Arizona. However, if it is not included on your federal return gross income, it will not be taxed.

To avoid dual taxation, ask the authorities in your state of residency for information on how to get a refund for the taxes paid to other states. In some situations, you may get a tax credit in Arizona as well; use Form 309 to see if this is the case.