Connecticut Tax Filing

Connecticut Flag

Filing Your Connecticut Taxes

It is tax season again – or for some new workers it’s a brand-new thing. Figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating – but there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and, one hopes, less stressful. The information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms and give you other information you need to get started.

Connecticut state income tax returns for 2014 are due April 15.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software

H&R Block and TurboTax are the most prominent online tax software providers for those who do their own taxes. All are useful for many types of personal and business tax filing. Each provider has its pros and cons - but we did all the work for you. Just take a look at the chart below to find the best one for your needs.

Note that H&R Block offers FREE state income tax filing in Connecticut! Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Connecticut Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You Are a Resident of Connecticut

When are you considered a resident of Connecticut? In the following cases: if you had your permanent domicile in Connecticut for the whole tax year, or if you stayed in Connecticut for at least 183 days. Residents need to file a tax return if they made estimated tax payments, had income withheld, exceed the allowed income limit or had a federal tax liability.

The allowed gross income limits are: $12,625 (single), $24,000 (married, filing jointly), $12,000 (married, filing separately), and $19,000 (head of houseold).

How exactly is gross income calculated? It is all the income the resident filed on the federal return, plus any other income filed on Form CT-1040, Schedule1.

If you are a resident of Connecticut, you have to use Form CT-1040 to file your return (you can download the 2014 Form CT-1040 Connecticut Resident Income Tax instructions above).

You Are a Part-Year Connecticut Resident

If you had your permanent home in Connecticut only part of the year (in other words, if you moved in or outside of Colorado during the tax year), you are considered a part-year resident.

Connecticut will tax any income you earned while being a resident, no matter where you earned it (inside or outside of Connecticut). Also, the state will tax you even while being a nonresident, for any income earned inside Connecticut.

Use Form CT-1040AW to calculate your taxable income amount. In order to file a part-year resident use Form CT-1040NR/PY. You can find out the amount of your taxable income by using the income calculated on Form CT-1040AW.

In case you and your spouse do not have the same residency status and you already filed together on your federal return, you have to use Form CT-1040NR/PY in order to file separately for Connecticut. In this case, calculate on your taxable income Form CT-1040AW referring only to your part of the household income. Keep in mind that if you are a part-year resident, you do not meet the requirements for getting property tax credits.

If you have to pay more than $1,000 beyond the taxes originally withheld, you have to use Form CT-1040ES.

You Are a Connecticut Resident Who Works in a Different State

As a resident, any income you make will be taxed by Connecticut, even if it was earned in a different state. Since the state where you earn your income might also tax you, you have to think about avoiding dual taxation. To ask for a tax credit from Connecticut, you have to file Form CT-1040 and include a copy of the return that you already filed with the other state.

If the taxes paid to the other state is $1000 or more below the Connecticut tax, then you will have to pay taxes in Connecticut. You can file these using Form CT-1040ES; keep in mind that they are due on four different dates: April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15. Find out further details in the Form CT-1040 instructions as well as in Form CT-1040ES.

If you are a Connecticut resident, you have to use Form CT-1040 to file your return (you can download the 2014 Form CT-1040 Connecticut Resident Income Tax instructions above).

You are a nonresident who worked or sold property in Connecticut

When are you a nonresident in Connecticut? In one of the following cases: if your domicile was not at all in Connecticut during the tax year, or if you lived in this state for not more than 183 days, or in the case that you had a domicile in Connecticut, but lived there for no more than 30 days.

When do you need to file a nonresident return with Connecticut? In these cases: if you are a Connecticut nonresident and income tax was held from your earnings, made estimations on tax payments, surpassed the allowed income from sources in Connecticut, or had to pay a federal alternative minimum tax.

The allowed gross income limit is $24,000 if the resident is married and applies together with the wife or husband, $12,000 if the resident is married but applies separately, $13,000 if the resident is single, $19,000 if the resident is head of house.

What makes for taxable income in Connecticut? Among the sources of income are wages from services delivered inside the state, accumulated sick payment, vacation payment, unemployment revenues, property sale or rental, as well as money from S corporation or partnership in Connecticut

If you have to file a nonresident tax return, use Form CT-1040NR/PY (you can download the 2014 CT-1040NR/PY Connecticut Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return instructions above).

In case you and your spouse have different residency status, and you already filed together for the federal return, you have to use Form CT-1040NR/PY in order to file separately for Connecticut only. In this case, calculate your taxable income referring only to your part of the common income.

If you have to pay more than $1,000 besides the taxes originally held, you have to use Form CT-1040ES.

For other details on how to file your nonresident return with Connecticut, and more information on types of taxable income, you can download the 2014 Form CT-1040 Connecticut Resident Income Tax instructions above.