DC Tax Filing

DC Flag

Filing Your DC State Taxes

It is tax season again! Figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating – but there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and less stressful. The information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms you need and give you other information you want to get started.

State income tax returns for 2014 are due April 15.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software

H&R Block and TurboTax are the most prominent online tax software providers for those who do their own taxes. All are appropriate for many types of personal and business tax preparation. They differ in pricing and each has its own positives and negatives. So check them out, compare and read the reviews to pick the one that’s best for you.

H&R Block offers FREE DC State tax filing services. Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Washington DC Tax Forms

Do I Need to File Taxes in D.C.? What is My Residency Status?

There are four groups of people who need to file some sort of tax form in Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C. residents, part-year Washington, D.C. residents, people who live in Washington, D.C. but work in another state, people who live in another state and work in Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. Residents

If your permanent domicile was in Washington, D.C. for the entire year or for more than 183 days, you are a D.C. resident. You are also a D.C. resident if you owned a home in Washington, D.C. and are in the armed forces or are a spouse of someone in the armed forces or a nonresident elected official who is otherwise exempt from D.C. residency. Washington, D.C. residents who filed a federal tax return must file a return with Washington, D.C. using Form D-40.

Part-Year Residents

If you only resided in Washington, D.C. for part of the year or fewer than 183 days you are a part-year resident. People who were physically in Washington, D.C., but whose residence was in another state are also considered Washington, D.C. part-year residents. You are only permitted to have one permanent residence and changing that residence requires you to give up your other residence and establish your residence in the new state.

Part-year D.C. residents are required to file a Form D-40 Washington, D.C. return just like full-year residents. There are however several differences. When filling out the Filing Status section, you need to declare that you are a part-year resident. For more information see page 12 of Form D-40. You also need to calculate how much income you earned while you were a D.C. resident and how much when you weren’t. You will need to repeat that process for deductions, exemptions, and deductible expenses. Divide the number of days you lived in D.C. by 30 to find out how many months you lived in D.C. so you know how to prorate those calculations. Any remainder greater than 15 is considered a full month for filing purposes. Enter these calculations on your Form D-40 return.

Make sure that when you are entering this information, you allocate income and deductions to Washington, D.C. for the time you were a D.C. resident. Don’t forget to prorate your personal exemptions and deductions, both standardized and itemized, as well as any credits.

Live in Washington, D.C., Work Out of State

If you have determined that you are a Washington, D.C. resident and you worked in Maryland or Virginia, you are required to file a D.C. return. Out of state employers may not have withheld taxes for D.C. so you will need to file Form D-40 with Washington, D.C. The state you worked in may also require you to file something with before it can release withheld taxes.

Work in Washington, D.C., Live Out of State

If you lived outside of D.C all year or for fewer than 183 days, you are not a D.C resident. Your employer may have withheld D.C. taxes from your income and if you want a refund, you will need to file a Washington, D.C. return. Use Form D-40B to file a nonresident return with Washington, D.C. You must attach any documentation of D.C. withholdings to page 1 of Form D-40B when you file. You may not request joint refunds.

If you are not a D.C. resident but you sold property in Washington, D.C., you are required to file any income made from that sale with your state of residence. You are not required to file with Washington, D.C.