Kansas Tax Filing

Kansas Flag

Filing Your Kansas State Taxes

It is tax season again! Figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating – but there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and less stressful. The information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms you need and give you other information you want to get started.

State income tax returns for 2014 are due April 15.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software

H&R Block and TurboTax are the most prominent online tax software providers for those who do their own taxes. All are appropriate for many types of personal and business tax preparation. They differ in pricing and each has its own positives and negatives. So check them out, compare and read the reviews to pick the one that’s best for you.

H&R Block offers FREE Kansas State tax filing services. Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Kansas Tax Forms

Determine Your Residency Status

The amount of your taxes depends on your residency status, so check below to see which category you fall in.

You are a Resident of Kansas

If you had your permanent (domicile) home in Kansas for the whole past tax year, you are a resident of Kansas. If this is the case and if you were required to file a federal tax return or you made more money than allowed by Kansas (see the 2014 Kansas Individual Income and Food Sales Tax Booklet above), you have to file your tax return with Kansas.

If you filed your federal return as either a qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child, you have to submit your Kansas tax return as a head of household. In all other cases, you must have the same status on your federal return and your Kansas return. To file your Kansas income tax return, use Form-40 (see the 2014 Kansas Individual Income and Food Sales Tax Booklet above).

You are a Part-Year Kansas Resident

If you moved to or from Kansas during past tax year, you are considered a part-year resident. In this case, you can choose to file as either a resident or a nonresident of Kansas (see the respective sections, as same requirements apply for part-year residents, and make sure you choose the best option for you).

You are a Kansas Resident Who Works in a Different State

If you are a Kansas resident and work in another state, your out of state income will be taxed by Kansas, as this state taxes all income made by its residents, no matter the source. The state where you work may, however, tax you as well. In order to avoid dual taxation, check to see if you qualify for a tax credit from Kansas. To file for a tax credit, fill in the worksheet in the 2014 Kansas Individual Income and Food Sales Tax Booklet (downloadable above). You have to file this worksheet along with your Kansas return (Form-40), your W2 (which you obtain from your employer), and the return filed with the other state.

You are a Nonresident Who Worked or Sold Property in Kansas

If you did not live in Kansas during the past tax year, you are a nonresident of Kansas. If this is the case, and you earned money from Kansas sources, you have to file a Kansas nonresident return. There is no minimum threshold, so any income you’ve earned will be taxed. To file a Kansas nonresident return, use Schedule S, Part B. For other information, check the 2014 Kansas Individual Income and Food Sales Tax Booklet above.